When electric light came to Milan, the first public building to be illuminated by the Edison company, was the Teatro alla Scala, in 1883.

Today we think of the theatre as a silent, magical, twilight place, and we no doubt find it strange to read on a poster of the time describing the Teatro alla Scala as being “floodlit”.

But the central grand chandelier did just that, thanks to its 383 bulbs. The chandelier that we see today is a faithful copy of the original, which was destroyed during the air raid of 15th August 1943.